...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Quilting the Lotus

 

An interesting day. I am quilting and embroidering lotus flowers on my quilt. Meanwhile my cousin, Dianne, is posting a gorgeous picture of lotus flowers online, wondering where the photo had been taken. Obviously, we are both in need of a beautiful and tranquil retreat.

This is a lotus that I have just completed on my “Peace, Love, & Haight Ashbury” quilt. I included the motif because it is a symbol of the Eastern philosophies that were strongly infusing American culture at the time..

IMG_4104[1]

This is a close-up that shows how I have embroidered in a chain stitch alongside my quilting lines to give the flower more definition.

IMG_4107[1]

I am getting ready to make one and one half more lotus flowers on the other side of the quilt. First I found two round objects—a saucer and a CD—to trace around with chalk.

IMG_4099[1]

This view shows the half lotus off to the right side. I am trying to keep the quilt abstract.

IMG_4100[1]

Next I sketched in the initial row of eight petals with a combination of chalk and disappearing marker, depending on whether I was drawing on light or dark fabric. Then I added the smaller second row of petals behind it, keeping within the frame of the larger circle.

I will first quilt along these lines with a walking foot, then add the embroidery afterwards. In the best of all worlds, it is definitely best to do all of the quilting first, and then the embroidery. But as I said before, this little quilt seems to be morphing as it goes along.

IMG_4102[1]

5 comments:

  1. I really love seeing those batiks all together in one happy place. Love the lotus blossom motif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be one wonderful quilt when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks FABULOUS - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Striking! can't wait to see the finished piece and bet you can't either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a happy quilt!

    I'm reading a novel called Make Quilts Not War...your quilt could be on the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.