...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Kern County Fair 2013

 

This evening I visited the Kern County Fair with five girlfriends. They are gracious supporters of my quilting and insisted that we stop by the quilts first thing.

A little bird had called me on Tuesday and told me about this surprise: First place and the Golden Needle Award.

IMG_3908[1]

Just when I was fairly certain that an art quilt would not do well in a traditional setting such as our county fair, I was proven wrong.

This is a close-up of the quilt. I re-did the thread painting in the center of the angel’s trumpet several times until I was finally satisfied with it. Definitely a learning experience.

IMG_3911[1]

My friend, Robin, took this sweet picture.

Award winning quilt

The snail’s trail received a second place in professional machine piecing/quilting.

IMG_3912[1]

There was lots of great food at the fair. Vicky had a yummy cinnamon roll. I had a great Basque dinner. I had scrimped on food all day so I could enjoy that meal!

IMG_3924[1]

Check out Vicky’s cinnamon roll…

IMG_3923[1]

Before we knew it, the sky was dark, and it was time to go home.

IMG_3921[1]

5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! Congratulations! They are both amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, big congratulations on winning ribbons with your awesome quilts!
    Now, why didn't y'all stay and ride that ferris wheel, lol? I get dizzy just thinking about them. The last time I got on one the person riding with me rocked the seat while we were a million miles up in the air...never again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations, love your ribbons, and so perfect for both quilts are amazing. Your ribbons match your piece. It has movement and design, great color combinations.. go with your gut instinct when entering we never know what will be the outcome. Go for it all! and you did.

    Beautifully done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Your trumpet flower quilt is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! As they say, "Cream rises to the top." :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.