...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The End of My Stitchin’ Vacation

 

After a brief interlude of cutting applique pieces, it is time to return to my sewing machine and put in some serious time finishing the free motion quilting on “Rainy Garden Windows”. I have about 14 more of these flowers to quilt. There are 49 altogether. Fortunately, I did not have any wild ideas about finishing this in time for the fair. It would have never happened.

There is still a bit of disappearing marker remaining on this one, but it does make it easier to see the lines of stitching.

IMG_3942[1]

I start out by drawing a circle around the base of a large spool of thread.

IMG_3947[1]

Then I crosshatch the center of the flower.

IMG_3939[1]

That being completed, I circle around the crosshatching with an additional circle. From there, I proceed around the circle, adding the flower petals.

IMG_3941[1]

Another view…

IMG_3944[1]

A lot of work for a quilting design that will just sort of blend into the batiks.

IMG_3958[1]

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you're on a roll with your quilts. Love the flower quilting.
    Was out today and stopped at a yard sale where I got a bag of Asian prints - 10 yds. I'm stashing for when and if I ever get good enough to use it for something. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it! I can't wait to see it finished. I love the quilting you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it will give the quilt texture even if the stitches don't show. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure is pretty. You do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay-another beauty in the making! When I live in Medford and can't rent the longarm-I am going to quilt my quilts on my own machine-no more edge to edge. Thanks for the directions-I will Need them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love batiks, used a plate the other day for making circles, but love the sun or sun flower design,,, great idea. works beautifully with that quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.