...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hand-Dyeing, Biscotti, and an Unsolved Mystery

As of late I have really been trying not to hold onto unnecessary items such as glass and plastic containers. That is why the city provides us with recycling bins, isn't it? That being said, they aren't going to get the big clear plastic container that I got at Smart & Final that used to be filled with a big stash of individually wrapped almond biscotti treats. The sweets are long gone now, but the container sure made a great hand-dyeing tub.

Last Sunday, I had fun making this little jewel.


I wanted to do some more ice dyeing this weekend, but the flu vaccination I had late Thursday afternoon kind of knocked me out of the water. Achy muscles. Upset tummy. I guess I really needed that shot. I even fell asleep halfway through Dateline on Friday evening so didn't get to see the end. That really bugged me because the last half of the show wasn't playing on their website the following day, either. I looked the story up online since the episodes are based on true cases, and an explanation and motive were never given. Drives. Me. Nuts.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece of fabric. I had my shot before my trip - luckily all I had was a sore arm. You aren't the first person I know of that was knocked out by the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that fabric is gorgeous. I would keep that container, too. Actually, our basement is FULL of different containers that I just can't let go of - jars, plastic buckets, tubs, boxes, etc. I may be a hoarder.
    Every time Goodman ever took a flu shot he got the flu then gave it to me and our girls. He finally just quit taking the shot and hasn't had it since. I've never had the shot and only got the flu whenever he brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric really is a jewel!

    I only had the flu shot once, and I ended up with bronchitis and spent two days in the hospital. Never again. BTW, I've never had the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fabric! Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mix of colors you have.. I did some dyeing also.. and we have a new washing machine, that locks.. I am trying to fill it with water and Synthrapol, and when I stopped it to add the fabric, it drained... Not sure how I can trick the machine, wonder what others are doing.. going to try again, I think there is a soak setting maybe that will work! I hear all the washing machines are set now to lock so someone does not hurt themselves.. everyone suffers because some one person was probably stupid once. I decided to pull fabrics I was not going to use again, and was going to take them to the thrift store... and just could not make it, So I dyed the fabrics,, and thought I would use them for stamping and deconstruction printing... Fabric is Fabric... experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beauty, too. Sorry I didn't see the show, or I would fill you in.

    Hope you are recovered by now...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.