...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Giving Back

          Yesterday I received an email at work from a fellow animal lover, Debbie, who is also a teacher at my school. Apparently, the Mt. Vernon Animal Shelter is in deperate need of beds and blankets. Some of our little friends are having to sleep on the cold concrete floors of the kennels. More people are lined up outside the shelter, dropping off more cats and dogs.

         Tears started to well up in my eyes as I affectionately remembered telling my cat, Panda, that she needed to go on a little diet and spend more time sleeping in her pink fake fur bed instead of on the arm of my couch.


          Panda used to be a shelter cat. Fortunately, someone at the shelter saw that she would be an excellent pet for someone. They had her spayed and vaccinated and made ready to go to a new home. They were right. Panda was adopted on the first day she came available. She has been a joy to my household ever since.
.  

          She sleeps about anywhere she wants and gets a new bed every year. She still likes to perch on the arms of my couch.


          There is a big pile of gently used blankets in my garage. We will be laundering them this weekend so that Debbie's friend can take them up to the shelter on Monday. We are also saying lots of prayers. Hopefully, our little friends up at Mt. Vernon will find warm, comfortable, and loving forever homes.



         

3 comments:

  1. How sweet. We have strays around our house that we've been feeding and we have also made some boxes/beds for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, anyone who puts a swamp cooler on top of their chicken coop so that their hens stay cool in the summer is an excellent person. You rock!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is time to change the bedding for my 7 cats also... in the run at night, but during the day they enjoy the warm sunshine... About 4 PM I whistle and they all come running, tails up. They are such fun. And each has their own personality... They sleep where ever they want... It is interesting to watch the differt relationships that they have... sometimes they fight and run outside, but when they are in the shelter, it is like they have a pack, no fighting in the house.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.