...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas for Cowgirls

          As an adult with a full time job and all kinds of other responsibilities, there never seems to be enough time to drive out to the country where I board my horse. Life definitely goes on, however, whether I am there or not.

          Someone has added a festive wreath to the paddock gate.


          There aren't any evergreen trees at the stable, so a large artificial tree has been set up outside, complete with ornaments and lights.

 
          Many of the youngsters have decorated their horses' stall doors. This is Sarah's horse, Maggie. Sarah helps me with my horse, Sky. She turns him out to exercise himself since I can't always be there. She also brushes him and gives him lots of love. Sky really likes Sarah.
 
 
          This is Sky in his stall. It's sprinkling outside, so all the cowgirls were out at the stable putting fresh, dry pine shavings in their horses' stalls to keep them warm and cozy. Everyone was getting a generous helping of grain as well.
 


 



Christmas For Cowboys
 
John Denver

 

Tall in the saddle, we spend Christmas Day, driving the cattle over snow
covered-plains.
All of the good gifts given today, ours is the sky and the wide open range.
Back in the cities they have different ways, football and eggnog and Christmas
parades.
I'll take my saddle, I'll take the reins, It's Christmas for cowboys wide-open
plains.

A campfire for warmth as we stop for the night, the stars overhead are
Christmas tree lights.
The wind sings a hymn as we bow down to pray, It's Christmas for cowboys,
wide-open plains.

Tall in the saddle we spend Christmas Day, driving the cattle over
snow-covered plains.
All of the good gifts given today, ours is the sky and the wide open range.
It's Christmas for cowboys, wide open plains.

3 comments:

  1. Gardener, quilter, artist and horsegirl too. What don't you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! What a nice place to have your horse. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss John Denver. Thanks for the memories. :)

    And thanks for sharing your horse. Ditto what Barb said!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.