...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Elaine's Quilt Block, Salt Lake City, UT

While we were in Salt Lake City, Janice insisted that we hit her favorite quilt shop. We were on our way to a concert, so didn't have a whole lot of time to spend at Elaine's Quilt Block, but it sure was nice. It's not fair for me to compare, but I would venture to say that Elaine has the best selection of reproduction fabrics in the area. One large room in her store was stuffed with them.

 
Of course, I headed to the other big room that was filled with bold batiks and modern prints.
 
This lively piece of batik found it's way into my shopping bag.

 
I was beginning to think that no one in Idaho or Utah carried Asian prints. Finally, finally, finally, I found some at Elaine's. She had eight to ten bolts of Robert Kaufman Oriental Traditions fabric and fat quarters of the same prints. I grabbed these three just before Janice's "bus" was ready to leave for the concert.

 
That shortage of Asian prints in the north country must have put me in a tailspin. Ever since I got home, I have been piecing tiny blocks with Asian fabrics like a fiend. I wanted to post pictures of my manic habit, but ran out of the straight pins I need to attach them to the design board. I have an unopened box of them somewhere, but....well, you know. I thought about stopping by Beverly's Fabrics on the way home to pick up some more but decided to be a normal person instead and go to the grocery store. Drat! That's boring. I really would rather quilt than eat.
 
I will post the snapshots of the Asian blocks later.
 
In the meantime, if you are in Salt Lake City...
 
 
Elaine's Quilt Block
6970 South 3000 East
Salt Lake City, UT   84121
801-947-9100

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics. Love the buildings the stores have been in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The batik is nifty - I don't recall ever seeing a striped one. Yay for finding Asian prints. Looking forward to seeing the blocks you've been piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a full trip you had-no wonder you didn't have much time to blog-love those Asian pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great batik! And like the Asian fabrics, too. But of course being the batik collector that I am, that is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.