...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Quilting Peace Signs


Life has been anything but peaceful in my household as of late, but I did take some time off and joined my other friendship group, The Pinheads, for a get-together at Bolts to Bindings on Wednesday. I took my “Peace, Love, & Haight Ashbury” quilt top along and got it sandwiched while I was there. I sure appreciated those large tables!

IMG_0978[1]

After fiddling with a bunch of different threads, I finally decided on a Coats & Clark variegated cotton thread called “Rainbow”. The colors not only looked the best, but the thread handled really well and didn’t pose any tension issues like the others I auditioned.

I have just begun slowly quilting in some basic peace signs, hearts, and motifs common to the 1960s. I will eventually enhance the surrounding areas with free motion stitching to provide more definition.

Here is the largest peace sign. A little difficult to see right now, but it will become clearer as I add filler stitching in the background.

IMG_0976[1]

4 comments:

  1. I love that quilt. It reminds me of a little size 8 swim suit topper that i bought at the beach in about 1966-bright orange and red-I loved that thing. The colors of the 60's were so bitchin:)Your quilting will be wonderful. You are encouraging me as I see you do your step by step photos! Peace, love and have a groovy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting the peace symbols are for this quilt! You're making a lot of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favourite quilt right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.