...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Almond Joy Brownies

 

This deliciously decadent recipe crossed my path one day on Facebook. The flavor is spot on for those yummy Almond Joy candy bars I used to enjoy so much as a child.

I looked for someone to credit for the recipe but couldn’t locate the name of a person or company. I have tested it, and based on that, will suggest some modifications.

IMG_0853[1]

Ingredients:


1 box of family size Chocolate Fudge brownie mix
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (I would recommend using only about 2/3 to 3/4 of the can. The treats become so sticky that it is very difficult to pull them out of the cupcake papers. The full amount of condensed milk also significantly increases the cooking time.)
1 (14 oz.) bag coconut
1/4 C milk (Add sparingly.)
1 C chocolate chips, melted (Add a little milk if the melted chocolate is too thick to drizzle.)
1/4 C almonds (or nuts), crushed or sliced


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line (regular size, not mini) cupcake pan with paper liners. (Don't skip the paper liners as the treats are very sticky).


Make the brownies according to package directions and pour batter only half way up the liners.

IMG_0813[1]

Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. While they are baking, mix the coconut, sweetened condensed milk and milk together.

IMG_0818[1]

Remove brownies from oven and spoon on some sweetened coconut. This works best if you use a dinner fork in each hand.

IMG_0820[1]

Place in oven and continue to bake an additional 14-16 minutes. This took up to 20 minutes when the full can of sweetened condensed milk was used. I baked the brownies until the coconut was lightly toasted on the top.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

Drizzle on the chocolate then sprinkle on the almonds.

Chill in the refrigerator for several hours prior to serving. Makes about 22 treats.

2 comments:

  1. I loved almond joy bars when I was young and now, too. Those cupcakes look fabulous. My sisters will be here to visit in a few weeks, and between the three of us I think we clean up a batch in no time. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.