...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Blanching Tomatoes

 

Look what has been growing and ripening while I have been busy with a million other things. I remember planting the seedlings and putting wire cages around them when they got a little larger, but not much else. I didn’t have to water a whole lot since Neighbor Tony’s flower bed is back to back with my tomato bed and his automatic sprinklers come on almost every night. The spray doesn’t reach my tomatoes since there is a fence in between, but the water seeps under the fence in just the right amount. Tomato plants set more fruit when they are not overwatered.

These are the large Early Girls.

IMG_0884[1]

These are the smaller ones, although I wonder if a cherry tomato plant somehow got mixed in with the Early Girls. There were quite a few clusters of these draped over the top of one of the tomato cages, which is not typical of that variety.

IMG_0888[1]

In order to beat the heat, I got up while it was still dark this morning and heated a good-sized pot of water in preparation for blanching the tomatoes. All 16 pounds of them. When the water was boiling nicely, I dropped in as many tomatoes that would fit without the water running over the side of the pot. Within minutes, their skins had popped open. Perfect!

As soon as the skins pop, I scooped the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon. I set them aside in large bowls to cool for awhile before I will slip the skins completely off the fruits, core and quarter them, then finally, place the wedges in freezer bags for storage. Come winter, I will have lots of home grown tomatoes for soups and stews.

3 comments:

  1. Busy lady. We've only had a couple come off the vine so far this year. I think my husband over waters but mostly because he has forgotten that he put the hose nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes are fun to grow. Do you know that I still, still have some hanging on a sad looking bedraggled bush at my back door. I must dig the soil over...I never plant them...they just seed and come again

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better in this world than a ripe homegrown tomato. Those are almost as beautiful as your quilts:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.