...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Dive Bomber

 

Somebody doesn’t want me in my garden. Every time I go over to a certain corner of my yard, look who is waiting to dive bomb me. A pretty bird. One I have never seen before. Grey on the top and a soft yellow on the breast. I did a quick search of the internet and think it is a Cassin’s kingbird. I know at least three of my regular readers are birdwatchers, so maybe they can tell me more.

IMG_3153[1]

There must be a nest about, but I am not seeing it in the huge rose bushes that my new little “friend” is guarding. Time will tell.

IMG_3154[1]

4 comments:

  1. Oh, cool. The bird, that is, not being dive bombed. O.O. We don't have those here, but we do have mockingbirds that do swoop at us, and even though I know it's coming it catches me off-guard every time. I'm probably just an easy target, lol.

    I looked your kingbird up - here's a cool link to hear the song/call they make: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cassins_Kingbird/id

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great picture of your nemesis. Be careful! I think we have had one around here once-looks very familiar. I would have noticed more if I had been under attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my facebook friends were thinking that this bird could possibly be a scrub jay. I believe that is because the colors in my photos are not the best. It is difficult to photograph anything facing toward a full sun. As I understand it, scrub jays are basically blue jays without the head crest. I already have those and have made peace with them. This fellow is soft gray and yellow, so I am still thinking it is a type of kingbird, maybe the Western Kingbird, that I found on this link.

    http://www.surfbirds.com/namericanbirds/american-robin.html

    I have been listening for his call, but for some reason, I was lucky and got the quiet bird. I understand that they can be quite raucous. It also seems to be calming down a bit and is not seeing me as so much of a threat. I am sure we will make friends in time.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.