...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Deadline Psychosis

 

IMG_1080[1]

Too many deadlines in one week can make a person goofy. And exhausted.

It’s the end of the first semester at school, and my narrative and statistical progress reports for each of my 28 students are due to go home to waiting parents tomorrow. Fortunately, I finished them a day early.

The teachers have been working furiously on getting the students’ grade cards ready to hand out. We have some particularly fierce and deadly strains of flu lurking over our county. The viruses hit suddenly and without warning. Most of us have been vaccinated, and we all appreciate each other’s presence as each school day begins, knowing full well that one or more of us might be very ill the next day and not make it to work. One of our staff members has already lost a brother.

Then there are my quilt show deadlines. It’s a good thing my quilt is cooperating. And another good thing is the three-day weekend that looms ahead like a bright cluster of balloons.

In the face of all those challenges and deadlines, I can only think that I want to be somewhere else. Like here:

IMG_1066[1]

Hecker Pass as it trails northward from Gilroy, California—which happens to be the garlic capitol of the world—and threads through the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. The whole town smells of garlic. I am always there in the late autumn so miss out on their garlic ice cream.

Interestingly enough, when I am in the mountains, I want to be home quilting. I always take some handwork along with me to soothe the separation anxiety.

IMG_1062[1]

4 comments:

  1. I am just now settling down to read this and comment...all these photos look so inviting.

    We have a place we used to go and build a campfire and let the kids play...maybe ten minutes from here. I always took books or quilt magazines to read and/or handwork to do, too. I would hike around and play some but then would sit and either read or sew.

    When I am at Sarah's....I am wishing I could be home to sew. But seems like a lot of times, I no more than start and I have to stop and I get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need a well-deserved break. Those photos are just beautiful.
    I'd love to visit Gilroy as I'm a garlic fan - I can just image how good it smells there. My dilemma this a.m. is whether to eat leftover, garlic-laden spaghetti with meat sauce for breakfast or lunch. o.o
    Have a great, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I retreat to Julian (25 min. away) in our little motorhome and take my featherweight. Sometimes I go by myself but usually with my girlfriend who rents a little cabin close by. We sew, read, pray all day individually and then meet at 3:30 to go to town for dinner. We repeat that schedule for 3 days and try to do it at least once a year and I come back so refreshed and energized. After this show-you need to take a couple of days and soak in some "you" time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can get away and get strong so you won't get that nasty flu going around. Enjoy your 3 day weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.