...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Finally Some Binding

 

Remember this little quilt? “Rainy Garden Windows”.It is only 35 X 35 inches square and has been waiting several months for binding. It did have some personal attention now and again when I had a few moments to bury the tail ends of all the quilting threads. There were a lot of those.

IMG_1392[1]

Here a little close-up of some of the binding I hand stitched yesterday evening.

IMG_1393[1]

Here is the back of the quilt.

IMG_1394[1]

I am liking this backing more and more as time goes by.  It was a relatively inexpensive fabric that I bought at JoAnn’s several years ago. I am glad that I bought a lot of it since some of the ladies in my friendship group thought that the back of the quilt was the front of the quilt. I guess I will just have to make another quilt with this batik on the front. Maybe something with some artistic applique on the top.

IMG_1395[1]I

This is a tip that Nancy Rink taught me when I took a binding class from her many, many years ago.

IMG_1390[1]

After cutting strips of fabric for your binding and piecing them together, it is easy to make a neatly folded and pressed binding strip. Push two long straight pins into your ironing board cover, and then thread the folded strip underneath them. Press the portion of the strip between the pins. Slide that portion forward, and press the next sections until the entire strip is doubled and ironed flat.

6 comments:

  1. I reeeeally like the backing fabric you used. Of course, I never saw a batik I didn't like, but that one sings a nifty song. What a neat trick for pressing the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...had forgotten it though. I think my mind is gone. Cause I absolutely loved it before and still do. I do like the backing fabric, too. I have seen that tip about the binding several times but never have tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the back is similar to the front but the front is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another happy quilt. Did you piece the back? Or was that grid part of the design? Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all one piece of plaid batik. Kind of unusual, so I grabbed it up. Fortunately, I bought everything that was left on the bolt--about 5 yards, I think.

      Delete
  5. I remember that little quilt. It packs a lot of punch! What a neat tip. never have heard of that one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.