...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Dye-Over

 
 
I wasn't completely satisfied with the results when I dyed this piece of cloth the first time around, so I thought I would spring for a dye-over. Sort of like Donald Trump's comb-over, but hopefully the outcome will be a little bit prettier.
 
 
You can see the results of the first round of dyeing at the bottom of the colander. I know, it does look pretty when it is wet after a soaking in soda ash, but it looks really washed out and chalky when it is dry. So I threw some ice cubes and maroon dye over it all and will hope for the best.
 
Meanwhile, I spent several hours picking the paper off the back of my Broken Dishes miniature quilt. There were a couple of points that needed a touch up before I sandwich the quilt and get busy quilting. One point is being particularly grumpy. I am going to have to get my needle and thread out and wrestle it with some hand sewing.

 
Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Um, no the Donald's comb over ain't working, but your dye over is - I love maroon colored anything. My HS colors were maroon and gray. (go bulldogs, lol)
    The dishes are just beautiful. Can't wait to see this finished. Happy wrestling!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.