...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Asian Indulgence

Ever since I got back from Utah, I have been piecing little tiny Asian fabric blocks like a maniac. I think I went through a severe withdrawal up in the north country since there were almost no Asian prints to be found.

Most of the fabrics in these blocks were already in my stash. Some were scraps left over from earlier quilts. I just can't bear to throw away those exquisite little bits and pieces of that richly colored and gold stamped fabric.

These paper pieced blocks are 2 1/2 inches square finished.

 
I happened to see this block design painted on a piece of plywood and fell in love with it. I converted it to a paper pieced pattern and went to town piecing my heart out. If anyone knows the proper name of this block, please let me know. I love it! My version is 7 1/2 inches square.

 
So what am I doing with all of this? Well, many, many years ago when I began quilting, I knew that I eventually wanted to make a quilt with applique bamboo. The pieced blocks are just going to be supportive parts of the overall design.
 
Here are some of the other components waiting to be assembled. I also have a small bag of real silk that I am going to use for some of the leaves. I am really loving playing with my little hoard of fancy stuff. I have been waiting a long time for this.
 

And then there is my stash of even smaller pieces of Asian fabrics. Perfect for Broken Dishes blocks.

 
Also 2 1/2 inch squares. I think I see a miniature quilt in my future.


I have also done a few other things since I got home from Utah. Like go to work and get that school year started.
 
Yesterday I met some dear former classmates for lunch. It's hard to believe that I have known these ladies since elementary school.

Photo: At Village Grill today with classmates Vicky, Teri, and Kay.
 
Hope you are having a great holiday today.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Asian fabrics and the little blocks you are making from them. I am meeting a friend for lunch today that I haven't seen since 9th grade-can't wait-she is a quilter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE all of this....love the Asian fabrics. Love how you get so busy and get so much done....I need to take a leaf our or your book and follow suit.

    How wonderful to get to see your friends from elementary school. One of my best friends in life married my brother...and then I still hear from two of the others regular, and even the 4th occasionally. (There were only 6 girls in my elementary class...one of those we never see or hear from. The rest are still friends)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.