...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Watermarking Roses

Who knew that there is a voracious appetite for photographs of roses? The moment I began posting mine online, I noticed a frenzy of hits that seemed a bit confusing. I really don’t think my snapshots are all that good, and I certainly don’t claim to be anything other than an amateur photographer.

When I really began to analyze where most of the interest originated, I was bewildered. I had no idea that roses were so popular in a very large unnamed peninsula in Asia. Made me wonder what they might be planning to do with all those photos. I didn’t want to jump to conclusions, but I did start paying more attention to how other bloggers were protecting their photos. Some recommended purchasing photo-editing software. I checked those out, then realized that there are many similar programs that available for free online. I tried one, which was acceptable, but did have to wade through lots of steps to get a simple watermark on a photo.

Blogger’s recent push for us to download our photos to Picasa, then onto our blogs turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I prefer downloading photos directly from my camera. Besides, I wasn’t looking forward to paying online photo storage fees.

One blogger recommended composing my blog posts on Windows Live Writer, which reportedly accepts photos with ease. When the post is finished, it can be shot directly to Blogger for publication.

Fortunately, my lap top came with Windows Live Writer already installed, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Well, it works like a charm. It also has great photo-editing features that are very user-friendly. No more dealing with Blogger’s stubborn refusal to rotate a picture when you know very well that the photo is obviously sideways. Windows Live Writer also allows cropping, watermarking, contrast settings, and the ability to make photo albums.

IMG_1811[1]

The long and short of the story is that a certain place in Asia no longer seems to be interested in my roses now that my photos contain a lovely watermark. Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. That's very interesting. I might have to start doing that too. Can you do it in picasa? Btw that little red and white owl was my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i am so naive. i wouldn't have put that together. the watermark looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, of all the nerve. I have to admit I go merrily along not thinking about that sort of piracy. Your watermark does look nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.