...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Transitional Borders

          Since I worked many hours today on my Never Ending Quilt, I rewarded myself with an hour or so of playing with this one.


          I have decided that I needed a row of transitional blocks, rather than sewing the string-pieced blocks directly onto an unpieced batik border. I sketched and fiddled with various options to no avail. The solution finally came during my yoga class. No surprises there.

         Fortunately, I had saved the leftovers from cutting my huge string-pieced strip into blocks. The leftovers were plenty big enough to cut smaller 2 3/4" blocks from them. I then framed the smaller blocks with batiks strips so that the final measurements were 4" X 4".

          Next to the framed squares, I am adding a row of tie-dye batik squares. The final border will be the mottled/splattered looking batik.

         I still have lots of the framed squares to complete before I can begin sewing all of these blocks together. Something to look forward to during my breaks from the Never Ending Quilt.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea and a great way to use those scraps up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new squares do add more visual interest. I don't think I'd ever tire of looking at those colors.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.