...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The End of the Rainbow

        Finally, I managed to get all the strips I cut from my hand-dyed fabric sewn together and made into blocks. This isn't necessarily going to be my final setting for the blocks, but it allows me to enjoy the colors for a bit.

 
 
          I began by sewing the strips I cut lengthwise from my hand-dyed fat quarters together. I mixed them with a few purchased batiks. Each strip is approximately 22" X 1.5",  however, I purposely cut some as gently sloping wedges rather than perfectly straight strips.
 
          Below is a picture of most of the green, blue, and purple strips sewn  randomly  together. I tried to keep somewhat to the order of the color spectrum with some variation. The entire length of the finished sewn piece is about 100 inches. For reference, it begins at the lower left hand corner of the photo, runs up the side, is folded into a point at the top, and then runs down the other side. I normally don't sew that many strips together at a time because the resulting piece is difficult to manage and cut into squares. In this case, I was really eager to get all the blocks finished, so I pressed on.
 
 
           In this photo, you can see that not all of the strips are the same width or even cut on the same angle.
  
 
          Once all of the strips are sewn together, I align the bottom edge of the entire piece with the 60 degree marker on my cutting mat, then proceed to cut 4" strips on that angle.

 
           Then I cut the strips into blocks.
 
 
          The blocks can then be pivoted to make what I call my original Leaning Lattice arrangement.
 
 
          Feel free to use this method, but your reference back to this source will be greatly appreciated.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I really like that the quilts you make are not usually the traditional patterns. (Nothing wrong with traditional - I just prefer a different style.) I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.