...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Stringing Peppers

          This year I only planted four cayenne pepper bushes. They outdid themselves! Today I am stringing some of the peppers.


          There are still many more in two bowls on my kitchen counter--not to mention the literally hundreds that are still hanging on the bushes in the garden.


           I think the bushes were so prolific because the soil in their raised bed was very fertile. The previous autumn, I roughly chopped up some old cornstalks and dug them into the soil. Every couple weeks or so, I soaked the soil with water, turned it, and hoped that the cornstalks would decompose before spring arrived. The rain helped a bit.

          Not to be outdone, the Northeaster beans keep a comin'. I can't say enough good about those plants. Now that the temperatures have cooled, the Royal Burgundy snap beans are also producing.

 
           Well, back to the kitchen!


1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle over your peppers as last year the same thing happened with our plants. We had so many we didn't grow any this year. I still have strings of them - more than we can use. The pic of them in the bowls is a gorgeous pop of color!

    Those Northeaster beans sound interesting. I've never tried them. Are the pods shiny at all? Someone gave me what they call "greasy beans" that I want to plant next spring. They said the pods are shiny is why they have that name. At any rate, I LOVE gardening so I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.