...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Elephant Hearts

          About 20 years ago, I saw my first elephant heart--plum, that is. It was huge, almost a quarter pound. And it was--er......ugly. A dull gray green skin on its heart-shaped essence. Then my friend, Debbie, cut it open and revealed its bright crimson flesh. Truly an elephant's heart! It was then and there that I decided that I had to have one of those trees.






          This has been a season of abundance when it comes to plums in my household. I didn't think it would be so. Plum trees are generally cross-pollinators and need another plum tree of a different variety nearby in order to produce fruit. Since my Nubiana plum tree had to be removed last year due to disease and general frailty, I didn't see any plums in my near future. But surprise! I guess Sister Mary Elephant found a boyfriend somewhere in the neighborhood because she has more plums than ever this year.

          Now there are plenty...





          For the makings of ginger plum chutney...




         

          Spicy pickled plums...





           And freezing for winter cobblers and just plain fresh eating!


          In the meantime, a quilt is patiently waiting for me by the sewing machine. It won't be long...


 

2 comments:

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.