...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Don't Blink!

          Don't blink, or you won't see the top of my design table. This is the first time in over two years that it has been clear. I have had a complex applique project on it for at least that long, and I finally finished assembling that yesterday. It is now ready for machine applique, then quilting.




          The table will not be empty for long. I have been collecting fabrics for the background of a new whimsical applique.




          The three borders for the applique have been finished for over a year. I find it easier to make the pieced border or borders first, then make the center applique to fit, rather than the other way around. Conversely, with a pieced quilt, I make the center first--then the borders.




          Don't expect to see this one finished anytime soon. I have lots of machine quilting to do on two other quilts before I get to play with this. But it should be fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I never thought of doing the borders first...that is a great idea.

    When I am ready to quilt a top, I like the get the binding made so that when I get it quilted, I can put it on. I hate to have to stop to make the binding. And I have made it before the top was finished a time or two. But usually, I don't have things that planned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, since most pieced borders require specific measuring, I find it easier to make the border first, the fit the central applique into it. Just make sure your applique piece is a little on the large side. You can always trim it a bit to fit, if needed.

      Delete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.