...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Monday, July 30, 2012

My Clover Is Over the Hill


          My Clover iron, that is.



          I had only had it for a few months before the shiny metallic layer on its tiny foot peeled off, and I was left with a black foot.


          I haven't used it since then.

          Yesterday I needed my Clover iron to fuse some tiny layers of applique so they would be secure before I satin stitched around their edges. I looked at that small foot on the iron and noticed that it was attached to the shaft of the iron with a minuscule screw. Thinking that maybe I could just replace the foot, I googled "Clover irons" online and found that the foot is not sold separately. Only the whole enchilada. Drat.

          I had my heart set on fusing my applique. I had been putting it off for a few days, but was feeling so inspired after seeing all those lovely quilts at Long Beach International that I knew I needed to take advantage of that transient energy.

          Yet I was hesitant to start, fearing that the black foot will rub off on my pastel fabrics and ruin them.

          Then it occurred to me that I could use a small, dry pressing cloth. I cut out a little square of plain white fabric. Bingo! It worked like a charm. Good thing I did. Even though there were no huge black marks left on the pressing cloth, there definitely were the occasional dark rubbings.




           I would be interested know if anyone else has had the same problem with the Clover irons. Seems a shame to have to buy a new one just to replace the foot. I don't believe Clover has any competition in the making of their specialty iron, either.

          I guess the next 50% off coupon I get will be for a new Clover iron. Hope it lasts longer than the first.

3 comments:

  1. Is the metal worn off or is is residue? Try cleaning it with a magic eraser to see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, the metal is definitely worn off. Not residue. thanks for clarifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kreinik sells an "adhesive iron press cloth" that you stick to the bottom of your iron. It is perfect for working with fusibles. It has to be used with a dry iron - it might be perfect for your Clover.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.