...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Love Embroidery

 

It wasn’t long after I became aware of the beauty of quilting that I fell in love. My family lived on a 24-acre farm in Southwestern New Mexico, and quilting was very popular. Mostly, I believe, because no one had television. I was three or four years old at the time--probably a little young to tackle a large scale project, but I went through quite a phase of trying to convince my mother that quilting was a good idea for a little girl who had not yet learned to tie her own shoes.

She didn’t agree.

I was also fascinated with embroidery and all sorts of animals, So instead of getting some quilting supplies, I was given three strands of variegated embroidery thread and a sweet little burro who was so gentle that he drank tea out of a cup. I have to say that those gifts did hold me for awhile. In fact, a very long while. I still love embroidery, and I still own a horse who is most likely the reincarnation of my affectionate but lazy donkey.

It’s interesting how in the grand scheme of things, life just doesn’t really change that much.

This past week, I have continued to plod along with the embroidery on my quilt. I got most of the letters in the word LOVE finished, but need to run to the store to get an additional color to give the heart more contrast.

IMG_4196[1]

Just when I thought I had every color…

IMG_4198[1]

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I L♥ve it! That is looking so good.

    I have loved quilting ever since I can remember...which I think was since I was around 5 yrs. of age. I would play in my mom's scraps. I made my first quilt in 5th grade...not sure why I didn't try before that. Still use it to snuggle under on the cough, though it has patches completely gone. It was a 4-patch and just minimum quilting straight across the quilt...quilted it on a treadle sewing machine. And the lines were not straight either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum thought I must have been deficient in blankets as I've always loved quilts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet not being able to learn quilting when you first loved it made you want to do it even more and possibly started the artistically quilty edge in you that is giving this quilt a life of it's own. LoVE is looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.