...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Thursday, December 25, 2014

English Trifle--A Christmas Tradition

You know you are related when you get on Facebook and your cousins are posting pictures of the English trifle they have made for Christmas. I was no exception.

This is my version that I took to a lovely Christmas Eve dinner with close friends.

 
This dessert is amazing easy to make and is a great way to use up yellow cake if you have some extra. You start by loosely stacking slabs of the cake in the bottom of a trifle dish. I used the shells that are traditionally used for strawberry shortcake because they were on sale, but ladyfingers and Twinkies--yes, Twinkies--will even do.
 
Next, I mixed up a large batch of strawberry gelatin and drizzled it over the cake. The gelatin should just cover the cake. It's all right if a tiny bit of the cake sticks up above the surface as long as it is coated with the gelatin mixture. Chill until the gelatin sets. 

 
My version of trifle includes a layer of Mandarin oranges. A small can will do. I just drained the oranges and sprinkled them over the set gelatin.
 
Next I mixed up a large box of instant vanilla pudding, poured that over the top, then chilled it all in the refrigerator for about an hour. Finally, I topped it all off with Cool Whip. An easy dessert, but you do have to plan ahead because of the chilling requirements.
 
Merry Christmas!

 

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Hope you had a great Christmas eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, the trifle was a real hit! Everyone had seconds. A wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful! Hope you had a nice Christmas-sounds like you did-and will see you in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, that trifle looks spectacular. Glad you had a nice nice time with your friends.
    We spent Christmas with our youngest and her husband in Virginia. Now we are dog-sitting while they enjoy a trip out west. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE trifle, though I never remember to make it. Maybe I should try to put one together for our dinner guests tomorrow. Thank you for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.