...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Quilt University Closing


A few days ago, I received a newsletter from Quilt University in my inbox. I have been very busy, so it took me a bit to open it up and read it. Since summer is eminent, it is always fun to see what courses they are offering while I am on holiday from school. One summer I took an online pictorial quilting class from Marilyn Belford, and it was excellent. I have to say that it moved super fast and that I was well aware of the fact that I would not complete a project within the time the course ran, but all the information was downloadable and available to me at any time in the future.

For those of you who are not familiar with Quilt University, it is an online establishment dedicated to teaching and improving the skills of all types of quilters. The classes are broad in range—both traditional and contemporary. There are suggested assignments but no deadlines and no grades. The teacher--and the class as an online forum--are there to assist you through your creative and technical process.

Unfortunately, some good things do not last forever. After reading the newsletter’s insightful opening article by guest writer, Linda Schmidt, I was saddened by the following announcement:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Quilt U will close at the end of 2013.  Carol's sudden death took the wind out of our sails.  It’s just not the same without her.  The teachers and I agree that an orderly shutdown is the best way to honor her memory.  Because Quilt U normally goes on hiatus for the holidays, the end of the year is a natural stopping place.
It also gives everyone one last chance to take those classes they were putting off for whatever reason.  You won't be able to "catch it next time".  To plan ahead, print out our Calendar and mark what you missed.  Registration opens six weeks before a class starts.  I'll continue to send a monthly newsletter to remind you that a new batch of classes is open for registration.

IMG_0089[1]

I don’t know about you, but this left me a little sad. I am wondering if there is any way that the management could reconsider, revise, or adjust.

What do you think?

Their website can be found at: http://www.quiltuniversity.com

5 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of this. I'd say they will have an overwhelming rush to the end of the year...what are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd known about Quilt University back in the winter. I'd probably have taken a course. Maybe I'll have time in the fall. It's such a great idea and really too bad they are closing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take classes through Craftsy now that are on your own time too. I may have to try to catch a Quilt U class though before the year end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard of Quilt U because of the EQ7 class. Online classes are a great idea if you have the discipline to take the time to do them. Sad to say I have a couple of Craftsy classes waiting for me to finish and one I need to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am certainly learning a lot through all of your comments. I was not aware of Craftsy. It seems like the main difference between the two is that QU classes start and end on specific dates. You are assigned to a cohort of classmates, which you are able to communicate with, share ideas, and questions you might have via an online forum. The teacher follows the discussion and also contributes. Each lesson is presented online on a specific date and can be accessed thereafter until the class concludes. You must download all the instructional materials in a timely manner, however, because once the course is over, IT IS OVER.

    From what Elaine is saying, it sounds like the Craftsy classes are kind of an independent study that you follow at your own pace. Please correct me if I am not understanding this correctly.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.