...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Little Ice Dyeing

I've got blue fingers!

After a good two years of mulling this little project around in my mind, I finally got all of my supplies together and gave it a whirl. Soon it will be too dreary and cold outside to slog wet fabric around.

I was really pleased with the results. These cuts of fabric are a little less than a yard long. They are hanging on the clothesline at the moment and haven't been pressed as of yet.






I dyed the fabric in colanders with a pans beneath them to catch the run-off. The pans should have been deeper. I had to sop up the extra drippings with my cleaning towels to keep it running onto the bricks. Oh well, now I have fancy hand dyed cleaning towels as well!

 
After scrunching up the PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabric, I put each piece in a separate colander with a layer of ice on top. I had enough colanders to do another batch, but the seven pound bag of ice that I purchased was only enough for three.
 
Next I sprinkled Procion dyes over the ice. The hardest part was keeping the colanders covered with plastic for 24 hours while the magic was happening.
 
 
The next morning, I was so excited to see the fabrics that I forgot to put on gloves to lift them from the colanders. I hope the dye on my hands fades a bit before I show up at work tomorrow. Otherwise, my coworkers are going to know about my wild weekend.


5 comments:

  1. Now that is cool! Love the nifty, icy patterns, too. I have no experience with dyeing fabric other than a package of Rit dye and a washing machine, lol.
    p.s. Blue fingers are good, and they show you're a doer, not just a talker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful, Kay! I really love the look of hand dyes-I have heard of the ice method but have never seen the results-beautiful! Thank-you for the posts on my blog-been in Seattle and a computer down-just makes it a little inconvenient to get online. Have a blessed pink fingered week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow oh wow!!!! I love, love, love that first one...and love, the others, too. Well worth have dyed skin for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun. Tired from Trails but nice turn out, one more day. I use the buckets under the colundars for the ice dyeing from the dollar store, not as much ice but I love your results. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.