...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Glendale Quilt Guild Annual Show 2014


Wow! What a show! I would have been absolutely content with just this one ribbon. I was totally surprised when I got a call from the Glendale Quilt Guild on Thursday evening informing me that “Oolong Trail” had won Best Piecework. That particular award is a first for me.
IMG_1534[1]
“It’s Raining Mushrooms in California” took second place in the Other Techniques class, which basically included everything except for traditional piecing, traditional applique, and art quilts.
IMG_1517[1]
Then much to my surprise, “Unfurled” won third place in the Art Quilts category. My quilt is the opening moonflower on the right. I thought it was really cool how these three quilts were grouped together. Talk about being color coordinated!
IMG_1527[1]
My friend, CeCe Westerfield, won Best Hand Quilting for her traditional quilt, “Tilt A Whirl”. She truly deserved the honor.
IMG_1531[1]
CeCe also won Best True Miniature Quilt for “All Churned Up”. Awesome!
IMG_1512[1]
This is the quilt that won Best Of Show. It is called “Daisy Dance”, and was made by Susan Meyers of Big Bear City, CA.
IMG_1537[1]
This was my personal favorite. “Mom’s Fabulous UFO” was started by Delores Coleman. She completed the seven applique blocks, then put them away. Years later, her daughter Kathi Coleman Wilson, inherited the blocks and decided to add the pieced setting triangles and finish the quilt. It won an Honorable Mention. I think it’s delightful!  For those of you who are not quilters, a UFO is an unfinished object.
IMG_1543[1]
The venue for the show changed this year to the Pasadena Convention Center. The show was housed in the Exhibit Hall & Ballroom.
IMG_1558[1]
The theme was “Crazy For Roses”, so there were rose quilts all over the place.
IMG_1536[1]
The show hall was spacious and well lit.
IMG_1535[1]
All in all, a good show! And it was great to see my fellow guild members from the Cotton Patch Quilters of Kern County there: CeCe, Nancy Rink, Carole Smith, and Nancy Palmer, who was gracious enough to take my picture with “Oolong Trail”.

6 comments:

  1. Kay-that is wonderful. Beautiful quilts. I love your originality and the quilts that come out of it. Congrats and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations on those ribbons, especially first place for Oolong Trail. Your quilts really do deserve them. Unfurled is cool, too. I don't remember seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! Congratulations and so well deserved. I've never been to that show. I'll have to put it on my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your ribbons! What a great day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on pinterest today and thought of your Oolong Trail, then I noticed the cats! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/177329304052406620/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your bounty of ribbons! Well deserved, of course! :) Maybe there will be more for your collection in a couple of weeks...you never know... ;) See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.