...because our quilts are a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Spiraling in Free Motion

          The last couple days have literally been consumed with free motion quilting the background of my current wall hanging in progress. I really didn't think that there was much area to cover, but I am almost finished with the two spools of thread that I purchased for the task. No surprises there. I am a terrible estimator when it comes to how much thread I will need for a project or how long a project will take to finish.

           I do know that I am thrilled with this thread. It is Mettler Poly Sheen in a medium shade of lavender. The color seems to change, depending on the mottled colors in the batik, but it really is just one solid color. I know that is unbelievable for those of you who know of my affinity for variegated colors. The finish is somewhat shiny, and best of all, the thread is very reliable and doesn't break all of time like another popular brand of polyester thread. The Poly Sheen is primarily advertised as an embroidery thread, but works like a charm for quilting.

          Well, tomorrow is coupon day at Hancock Fabrics, so I will go then and get more thread. I need to start ordering cones of it online. I think I might be irritating the ladies at Hancock's because I am always in there pulling out the storage drawers beneath their thread displays, looking for more of whatever color I want to purchase.



 



          While I have been quilting in circles, my little old lady cat, Courtney, has curled up into her own spiral on this soft pink Sherpa throw. I bought it at Hancock's Fabrics last time I was there. Between the store's half-off sale price and my 10% guild member discount, the blanket only cost me a little over $11. I got two of them. Maybe that sort of makes up for all that thread I bought at very close to full price.



3 comments:

  1. Our Bertha looks like your Courtney. Can't wait to see the whole wall hanging-love the lavenders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the spiral quilting look. I hope to have the time to practice free-motion quilting soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from my readers. Please don't hesitate to chime in.